Thursday, February 21, 2008

What do you watch? & Jumped the Shark

After the post from 5 Minutes for Mom yesterday I started wondering what shows all the moms in the blogosphere are watching. If it wasn't for DVR I don't think I would get to watch anything! Usually it takes me 3 times as long to watch one show because I need to stop, pause, and/or rewind to go and do something. Two shows that I DVR are Prison Break and Smallville. I guess I have a thing for the bad boys and for the good boys. A guy with superhuman powers always gets my attention. It is a toss up between Superman and The Green Arrow for me. I also love to watch House. When I was little I watched Hugh Laurie in some british comedies and I am a long time fan of his. I also really like to watch Ellen. I think she is funny, cooky and crazy. Plus, I think everyone should dance at least once a day.

All of this got me thinking about why I continue to watch shows after they have Jumped the Shark. If you listen to Howard Stern (please no negative comments- if you are not a fan- be nice) you probably have heard the term before. It refers to the point when a t.v. show has reached its peak (and also directly refers to when The Fonz literally "jumped the shark" on Happy Days). The website was founded by Stern Show's infamous rich nerd Jon Hein. Anyway, in my opinion Prison Break Jumped the Shark after the first prison escape but I continue to watch the long and drawn out mess the show has become. I also think that Deal or No Deal Jumped the Shark with the terrible million dollar mission. Why do they act surprised when someone picks a million dollar case? Duh! There are like twelve of them up there. One last show that I am afraid has reached its peak. OPRAH! If I have to hear Dr. Oz or Gail one more time...

So what are you watching? And which shows do you think have Jumped the Shark and why?

5 comments:

Lori said...

hmmm I DVR Rachael Ray, 30 Minute Meals, Good Eats, Food Network Challenges, Biggest Loser, Project Runway, Deserving Design, CSI, Criminal Minds, umm a few others that I watch with my hubby too... Some shows that I think need to go: Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol (other than the audition episodes those are toooo funny), I'm sure there are others too, but those ones pop into my mind

Pam said...

I watch way too much tv! We use our DVR like it is oxygen. I don't even think I could list everything I watch. Though we do love House too!

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it but I think Grey's Anatomy. The thought of McDreamy and Meredith getting together and breaking up again is just ridiculous. I'm still holding out a little longer but I think it's done.
Er has Definately jumped the shark. I seriously think I was in diapers when that show started. Enough is enough!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is embarrassing but since on maternity leave, I watch General Hospital. And I'm fully aware that that show Jumped Shark about 3 decades ago. I also have become addicted to Bringing Home Baby. I swear I still cry at every episode. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm afraid I agree with Tracey that Grey's Anatomy is on the Shark Jumping path. Of course, I'll still watch it though. I tend to be TV's easy date...

Jen

ps. Love your blog - glad we got "connected".

Anonymous said...

This is embarrassing but since on maternity leave, I watch General Hospital. And I'm fully aware that that show Jumped Shark about 3 decades ago. I also have become addicted to Bringing Home Baby. I swear I still cry at every episode. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm afraid I agree with Tracey that Grey's Anatomy is on the Shark Jumping path. Of course, I'll still watch it though. I tend to be TV's easy date...

Jen

ps. Love your blog - glad we got "connected".