Saturday, May 10, 2008

Signs of Teeth, Car Seat Update and The Ants Go Marching...

Eliza's two bottom teeth are starting to break through. I didn't think it would make me sad but when I saw it and felt it I was felt sad and excited at the same time. It was very strange. I feel like she is getting so big and her little teeth make her all grown up. Well not really- but kinda. You know what I mean.

I want to thank everyone for your feedback on car seats. It was really very helpful. Peter and I decided to go with the Evenflo Triumph- which we of course will keep in the rear facing position for as long as possible. We still have some time before we are going to switch her over, but I wanted to have it because we are going to be busy in the upcoming weeks. I do like Britax but they were very, very pricey.

So when i got home yesterday I realized that ants have invaded my kitchen. Now I usually LOVE all creatures. I am known to rescue bugs in my class and bring them outside. I am pretty tolerant of bugs and creepy crawlies in general. However, I HATE ANTS! I don't know what it is about them but I really am terrified of ants. I just think they are going to crawl into all of my orifices. The spring always brings bugs into my condo, so it was inevitable, but I just was not prepared for ants. I don't want to use anything harsh because of the baby but I really need to do something about this problem because I am scared to go in the kitchen. I can't figure out where the little ant bastards are coming from and they are multiplying like Angelina and Brad's kids. HELP!!! Does anyone know any safe solution I can use to deter these monsters.

If haven't been around commenting because I have my head stuck in a book called A Dozen Invisible Pieces and Other Confessions of Motherhood. The author is Kimmelin Hull and you can check out her blog or book site for more info. I started reading it last night and now I can't seem to stop. I will post more after I finish reading.

Mothers Day Glitter Graphics

7 comments:

Pam said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

I hope you are having a good weekend. Wow- that sounds like a book I would like to read....though I might need someone to teach me how to read information that is not on a computer screen ;) I too hate ants and keep seeing a few here and there in the house. I hate it because I can't figure out how the damn things got in and I am worried to death that one will crawl in Riley's ear or nose or something like that. I felt so much better hearing you have the same fear! Have a great weekend!

Dana said...

I can't believe Eliza is getting her two bottom teeth.. Oh, I'm so excited!!

I hate ants too.. Tis the season for them though..

Andrea said...

Ohhh, ants! I have the perfect solution...it's safe and it works SOOOOO well! Get some really shallow dishes (or cut some plastic containers, like yougart containers or something so the bottom part is really shallow - like about 1 inch high), and then put honey in it and just put them around the areas were the ants are. Ants go NUTS over honey, and they get stuck in it of course...my parents have gotten rid of ants in their basement SO many times this way. :) Plus if Eliza decides to see what is in the dish, it's totally safe (as long as she doesn't eat the ants! hehe...eww!). Good luck!

CC said...

What a big girl!! When my son came home and joined our family he already had SIX teeth! At 7 months. Wow. All that teething we missed ;)

I posted an ant solution on my blog a few weeks ago. It worked to contain the ants (no more wandering around the kitchen), but I'm not sure if it really killed them. Anyway, a new set of eggs apparently hatched in another area because now they are in our dining nook....

BTW, I finally passed on the award you gave me and participated in the meme. Thanks again!! :)

Christy said...

We have an ant problem every spring. We put some ant killer thingies in the ground around the perimeter of our house. Works like a charm!

Mommy Mechanics said...

Andrea's idea sounds great, my family always used to put a spoonful of jelly outside of the house maybe a few spoonfuls around the perimeter and then we didn't seem to notice them wanting to come in because the jelly fed them outside for weeks, anyhow we did it a few times a month and it seemed to get us through the ant season. Good luck.

La Mama Naturale' said...

Happy Mother's Day!
Oh! The joys of motherhood! I posted about safe alternatives for cleaning a few weeks back..but equal parts of borax, sugar, and water, equal parts vinegar & H2O, or Trader's Joe's All Purpose cleaner...I've used all three method and the borax recipe works like a charm!!! My husband and I think we live on an ant hill! We came home to an army of ants this weekend.