Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Mommy and Eliza Show!

This week Peter has been working late and it has been the Eliza and Mommy show almost 24/7. So far it has been really great. We have been busy with walks, trips to the library, mom's group and play dates. We even had two dinner dates from Rose which was so amazingly awesome and nice of her. She even cooked VEGAN meals! It really helped me to feel less lonely these past two nights. I hate eating alone. Well I mean Eliza is here- but she isn't much of a conversationalist at this point. Although I swear today she was saying tiger. I was teaching her the sign for tiger and she was definitely trying to say tiger to me. I attempted to get it on video and hopefully I can get it on the computer soon.

I also tried to give Eliza yogurt today. Yogurt was a NOgurt for E. I did try and give her plain. Hey! I like plain yogurt. But she wouldn't even take the plain mixed with a little fruit. And tonight someone was a little gassy and it wasn't me. Tomorrow I am going to try and mix it with some banana.

I created a wish list for Eliza on Amazon. It is freaking addicting. It is kind of like window shopping- but better. I know Eliza will never get most of what I put on the list but I am having so much fun making it up. I am not a material person- but I like to find fun things that I think Eliza would like. The funny thing is I am just as happy having things on the list as I would be if I actually owned them.I am currently searching for fun Eco0-Friendly and Green toys & organic clothes. Eliza has one amazing organic shirt and I would love to get her a few more. Now that she is into the bigger sizes and won't grow out of clothes every other day I might get her some nicer organic stuff. Or maybe I will just pretend I am buying it online. haha

I started thinking today about what I was doing this time last summer. I was hugely pregnant and getting ready to go back to work. I was thinking I had just a few weeks of school and then I would be back at home with my new baby. At the time I envisioned maternity leave kind of like a super long summer vacation with a baby in the mix. I couldn't have been more wrong. During summer vacation I would get lonely but never felt quite as ALONE as I did on my maternity leave. Which is funny- because I was never alone. I don't think moms-to-be understand the solitude endured by new moms on maternity leave until they experience it first hand. I realized tonight that although I feel lonely at times, like when my hubs works late, I will most likely not feel truly alone for a long, long time. Eliza is with me even when she isn't with me. She is always in my heart and in my mind, and I couldn't be happier. This year I am not getting ready for a new classroom. I have had fleeting moments of longing to be setting up a classroom, unpacking fresh supplies, and memorizing new names, but then I remember how lucky I am to spend every day with my daughter, to be her first teacher and those thoughts burn out out as quickly as they ignited.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my hubby has to travel every third week, so i know what it's like to be alone!

yogurt is a favorite around here! i just fed emmett some plain yogurt with peaches right off the tree. yummy! keep trying, and hopefully she'll take to it!

also, my mom found some organic cotton clothes at macy's. reasonably priced and super cute! (i can't remember the brand name though.)

Andrea said...

So you are staying home from work this coming year? That's awesome...there's no better teacher for Eliza than her own mom. :)

Laski said...

I an so relate! Today I was feeling a little melancholy as the students returned to school. This is my first official year that I am a SAHM. It is just so crazy!

J has a Amazon list as well. I went NUTS!!!

And as for yogurt. We tried Yo Yo Baby and he really liked it. It has sugar in it, but he loved it. He will now eat just about any flavor I put in front of him. Now I buy the plain and mix in all sorts of fruit. I've even frozen some and he loves it!

Mozi Esme said...

We've been doing the mommy-baby duo lately, too - husband has been off in the US for several weeks! And mealtimes are always unusual when all the conversation is onesided, though we are making progress there . . .

Esme disliked yogurt at first, too - I also tried plain and then plain with fruit or jam mixed. I finally gave up. Then one day I was eating it, and she decided she wanted some of what I was having. So now she does it it - on occasion - when she's in the mood.

Mommy Mechanics said...

Geeze shes trying to say Tiger? Shes so smart she'll be talking very early i'm sure. I can't believe how well shes doing with the signing. Trey is so active he won't sit still for a second for me to say a word let alone read a book, sing songs, or try to sign. Boys I swear! lol

Lori said...

Blake loves yogurt, but I started him on YoBaby banana and vanilla. now he eats just regular yogurt and there are few flavors he doesn't like. He also has yogurt shakes (we started those as a night time treat to help add more calories before bed!)

Dana said...

you really just brought tears to my eyes... That was so sweet Dan...

Can't wait to see you in a few hours!!

Missi said...

I can relate to being alone, too! It's great that you have friends to keep you company. :) Lillian never went for plain yogurt (even with fruit) so we had vanilla. Yogurt was her first (non-breastmilk) dairy, so I think maybe that's why it took a few weeks to warm up to it.