Friday, October 3, 2008

spoiled much?

I am starting to think that if Eliza could crawl back into my womb she would. I know my daughter is spoiled when it comes to sleep. Ok... Ok... spoiled doesn't even begin to cover it.

My husband and I are starting to realize we are are in deep you know what when it comes to E's sleep habits. She is getting bigger and bigger and my mommy muscles just can't keep up. She still needs to be bounced to sleep. She will NOT fall asleep on her own and it is seriously starting to worry me- A LOT. She also only seems to want me to put her down to bed. If it isn't me bouncing her she looks at the door, cries and waits for me to come to her rescue. Are there sleep clinics for one year olds?

Lately she has been sleeping restlessly in our bed as well. I don't know if it is teething, tummy trouble or something entirely different. Eliza's answer to her restlessness is a human bed. Yes! My daughter crawls up and conks out on my chest. and if that doesn't end the tossing and turning then I rock her back to sleep in my arms.

I really, really, really don't want to let her cry in her crib. It isn't that I don't like having her in the bed because I DO! I love CO SLEEPING! I just want her to fall asleep on her own- and possible not need to have her head pressed against my chest to sleep peacefully. I have tried lying next to her on the bed and letting her fall asleep herself. She just tosses and turns endlessly.

and now I am like WTF! What are we going to do?


and she is up from her 25 minute power nap.............

9 comments:

Amanda-The Family News! said...

oh yes...
I can remember having to rock Avery to sleep at night. I think I did that up until he was almost a year old or a little after. It must have been right before because i was pregnant with Lauren and wouldn't have had much room for him after he was a year old...
Then I started putting him in his crib. He would cry for a short time, but it's just the way we had to do it to finally get him to sleep. He is great now with going to bed. He may play in his crib for a while, but he eventually knocks out.
Lauren - she is a different story. She is my sleep angel! She gets a full belly or just plays herself to sleep. I haven't had to rock her once, except maybe when she didn't feel well. Avery had alot of ear issues so really that could have been the underlying reason for not sleeping so well for him....
Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

We love co-sleeping in our family. All I can is hang in there with your little one; some great books to read on co-sleeping and gentle ways of putting our babies/toddlers to sleep are The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley and Nighttime Parenting by Dr. William Sears.

In our experiences, there were weeks and even months when we could put our almost 2 year old down to sleep and be able to leave her side until we joined her later; now, she is starting to talk more vividly and needs us with her in order to go to sleep. We try to be the parents she needs us to be. I hope that helps!

Christy said...

I am always hesitant to offer advice, because I am not sure if you want to hear my opinion. But just know that it will get better. Porgie was a cosleeping baby too, who rarely napped and tossed and turned all night. But I reached my breaking point after she turned one, and I was ready to let her cry. She sleeps great now.

No matter what you decide to do, just know that Eliza will not be sleeping in your bed when she is 16. She'll get the hang of sleeping eventually.

Anonymous said...

we are qulity of rocking N to sleep, whether if its for naps or bedtime. as much as i enjoy, i keep thinking i need to stop it. but nothing is better than having ur child fall asleep on u, right?

i can tell u in my case when we had to let N cry it out to get him to sleep thru the night, it only lasted two nights. the first night he cried for 20 minutes, though it seemed much longer. the other night wasn't quite as bad. it is very heart wrenching to hear them cry, i know.

u will find something that works for u 2. good luck!

Tracy said...

Ha!Ha! was going to post on this topic 'cause napless Madison is running around like a loon! Meanwhile while fighting w/Madison over naptime (yes she REALLY still needs it) I put Stella in her bassinet and she cooed herself into a sound sleep. Guess you are supposed to mess up the first to get it right the second time!

Rebekah Gonzalez said...

We love to co-sleep in my house as well...but intimacy is an issue with babes in the bed..lol. I have remedied this with my children by.sleep positioning the baby in the crib the way they would co-sleep with me. On their side...propped up against a bumper wearing my tshirt and a benie baby placed on their shoulder for weight. (simulating my hand) lol...what we will do for a little extra R&R.

Andrea said...

All I know is that the longer you wait to do something, the harder it'll probably be...yeah, that's my philosophy with everything related to parenting I think! The sooner you start training/teaching/doing everything, the easier it will be in the long run. I know this isn't a lot of advice, but I hope you can figure something out for your dear 'lil Eliza!

Future Mom (Heather) said...

you definitely need to check out my book review of "good night sleep tight" on just talk this thursday!!! it will really help the situation if you follow through with her program. and it absolutely doesn't make you leave her alone crying because i know you will not do that. i am interested in hearing your honest thoughts on my review and i will absolutely lend you the book to read for yourself!

Rose said...

Don't worry, this too shall pass. You 3 will figure out what works best and it'll get better. Have you read Dr. Sears' book about sleeping? Can't remember the title, but remember the ladies always recommending it at PPP.