Monday, August 31, 2009

Visit with Lactation Consultant

Yesterday Jude and I visited a lactation consultant. She helped me latch him on and weighed him before and after he fed. He took in 1.9 oz from one side-not too shabby. She checked his tongue and said he is tongue tied- it is mild but tied nonetheless. We are bringing him on Thursday to have his tongue released. Hopefully this will help him nurse more efficiently.

The lactation consultant we saw was terrific. Her views coincided with my own views of natural parenting. Her shop carries slings, wraps and other mom recommended items like teething bling! Most importantly, she also openly promotes co sleeping and bed sharing. If you are in New Jersey and need a great LC you should consider seeing Maria at Postpartum Place in Chatham. It was a bit of a drive for me but important for me to see someone who understands and agrees with my parenting choices. She will definitely put your mind and ease and help you out. She called me today to see how we were doing and we are going to stop in and visit after the procedure on Thursday.

My friend Rose is the one who told me about Maria and suggested I see her for help. She saw Maria when she has some issues with breastfeeding her daughter Alessia. Rose has been a great inspiration to me in regards to breastfeeding. I give her so much credit for pumping at work (as a teacher who REALLY needs prep time!) in order to keep breastfeeding her daughter after returning to work. She has been a huge help to me in the past two weeks (and even before that). She met me at the consultant yesterday and took Eliza to the park so that Pete and I could concentrate on Maria. So I just want to say thanks Rose! You rock!

I also want to thank everyone who has provided me with advice, support and encouragement. It really means a lot to me and it is greatly appreciated!

9 comments:

Rose said...

oh you know I love you guys and would do anything for you! I'm so happy you had a good visit with Maria. She really is amazing and a lifesaver. You're doing great...it's hard to find the strength to continue when you have difficulties.
It sucks I have to go back to work next week! I'll miss you guys!

Marcy said...

I'm so glad to hear that you found someone so great to help you out. I'm crossing my fingers that after the procedure in Thursday, Jude starts nursing fabulously and you have no more issues! =)

Sheri said...

Yea for Rose and Maria! Just having that support around you makes all the difference doesn't it?

Being tongue tied can definitely interfere with breastfeeding but it is a a very easy thing to fix. It is a very quick procedure.

You are doing a great job!!!

Lori said...

glad you found someone you felt comfortable with and that helped you.

Pam said...

I'm SO glad you found someone who you felt comfortable with and who could help you out! I hope that things improve and that Jude does well on Thursday with the whole tongue untied thing!

Kim said...

I loved my LC also. One reason I am so excited about my 1 year BFing anniversary in 3 months is so that I can send her a thank you card. I am convinced that she was the key to our BFing success. I also had boobie cookies made for her after we hit 3 months.

Your babies are so adorable!!! I love that green thirsties cover!

Jess said...

It's really awesome that you're so committed to breastfeed Jude in spite of the challenges. What a great encouragement to other women facing breastfeeding hardships!

half pint pixie said...

Oh I am delighted you found a good LC and discovered the tongue tie. A friend of mine's baby also had a mild tongue tie and she was weeks trying to get it diagnosed. Once it was released she said the difference in latching and feeding was staggering. So fingers crossed getting this sorted will answer your worries! You are doing a fab job (hugs) And yay Rose!! :)

Anonymous said...

SO glad you were able to find some help!! Hope the procedure goes well tomorrow!