Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Baby Name "Stealing"

We all know I am way too into all things baby for a person who is not a mom, and not even pregnant. So I get bored and look up baby names online...no big deal right. Maybe it's the girl scout in me that thinks "always be prepared". I actually looked at my calendar today & realized that we are going to ttc in 8 months. So depending on how long that takes, it couldn't hurt to have a few ideas ready to go.

I have been googling baby names recently just for something to do to kill time. I was kind of surprised to find many message boards on different sites full of women complaining that someone had stolen the name they had picked out for their baby. I was very interested and read quite a few of them. They all go something like this. Woman #1 is pregnant. She & her partner agonize over the name of their baby and finally hand pick the perfect name. Then she tells woman #2 who is a friend or family member who is also pregnant. Woman #2 has her baby first and guess what happens? She uses the exact name that woman #1 picked!

I never really thought of it as "stealing" technically, but I guess it could be in certain situations. Obviously you can't exactly own a name before the baby is born. Let's say two sisters are pregnant at the same time and one tells the other the name she plans on using. If the other sister has her baby first & gives the baby that name while fully knowing she is taking it away from the other, that's totally stealing and they have every right to be royally pissed off. If in the same situation, both sisters just happen to be thinking of the same name but they don't talk about it before hand and then one sister uses the name, that just plain sucks but you can't really be mad about it.

Being pretty much the last person out of my family & friends to have kids, I have accepted the fact that some people may get to a name I like before I do. That's just the way it goes. If you are thinking your name is so great, chances are there are other people who think so too. Hate to break it to you but if you're in love with the names Ava or Madison for a girl and Aiden, Caden, Jayden, Brayden, etc for a boy...get used to the fact they will have a bunch of friends with the same name. On the other side of the spectrum, little Jude and Eliza have quite a good chance of going their entire lives and never meeting someone with the same name which is pretty cool. I have always said I will not use a name in the top 10 and still plan on sticking to that. My hubby and I have names that are normal yet not very common which is what I would like to try & go for with our kids.

My current favorite girls name is not even in the top 100 so hopefully it's not on anyone else's radar. Not only is it my favorite, I literally can not think of any other girl's name I like. My current favorite boy name is in the top 20, however 2 of my backups are between 50 and 80 and my last backup is also not in the top 100.

So I guess the question is, if you were pregnant & worried about your name being "stolen" there are 2 things you can do, which would be better?
1. Tell everyone you possibly can that name so they all know you are planning to use it.
2. Keep it a secret so nobody hears the name & then falls in love with it for their own kid.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

The name thing is so tough. Obviously having a Madison I didn't really care about originality when she was born. I just liked the name. Actually we were going to name her Shaelynn but everytime we mentioned it to anyone their noses would turn up because it was "weird" or something.
Now with Stella I thought it was pretty, but not "weird" and I never heard it for a little girl. ALl of the sudden it is EVERYWHERE! Her middle name is Mackenzie and I was pretty p/o'ed when my brother in law and his girlfriend named their baby that knowing full well that was Stella's middle name. I guess it doesn't really matter but it still bothered me at the time (oh and Stella was totally born first in fact we didn't even know we were going to have a niece until right before she was born!). Funny thing about Jude is it must be an up and coming name 'cause we now have two friends with babies named Jude! I guess unless you go with a freaky name there is no guarantee that you'll have the only baby with that name.

Dana said...

how come you didn't include the names you like in your post? silly!!

Danielle said...

I think it is safe to tell- I always did. I knew Tracy'[s friend's son was named Jude- and I hope she doesn't think I stole it. Unless the person is a close friend or family member I say who cares!