Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tasty Tuesday and Duty Served

I made it through Jury Duty. Honestly, I kind of enjoyed the whole experience. Well, except the part where I was a total airhead and forgot to sign in and then had to be called back to the window. "Ma'am, Excuse me ma'am, you Need to sign in." Or the time I thought the judge dismissed me and I left the courtroom and had to be called back in, "Ma'am, Excuse me Ma'am, you are not dismissed." Aside form all that I thought it was fun.

I learned....
that in my county and possibly in all of New Jersey they are NO LONGER giving exemptions. The reason is fairly obvious. The jury pool was getting too small so the same people were being called back to serve. In this county the same 19,000 were coming back in every 12 months. I think that is kinda scary. I know everyone moans and groans about jury duty, but I think it is a privilege to serve on a jury.

The courthouse where I served was beautiful. It is the original Victorian style courthouse from 1825. The courtroom where I sat at one time held high profile murder cases where a crowd of spectators observed from the top balcony. The balcony is now closed off but you can still see the original railings. additionally, The tree where they did public hangings is still standing outside the courthouse. The last public hanging took place in 1892 and had only one witness. The man was hung for killing his wife. I will remind Pete of that when he starts to get fresh.

and now a Tasty Tuesday Recipe from Dana

KIDS SOUP

Ingredients
5 cups Canned vegetable or chicken stock
3 Carrots, sliced into rounds
4 stalks Celery, chopped
1 Large potato, peeled and diced
3 Zucchinis, diced
1 cup Cauliflower
3 Plum tomatoes, diced (or one 4 ounce can)
1/2 cup Shelled peas (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup Corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup Elbow macaroni, optional


Preparation
Place stock in large pot. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add peas, corn and macaroni. Then simmer for 10 minutes more.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That soup sounds yummy, I want to try it!

Anonymous said...

How do you make Kids Soup without kids?

Tracy said...

Glas to hear jury duty went well. So does everyone learn the facts about the courthouse or was that the teacher in you coming out? Cool facts though.