Friday, May 6, 2011

31 Days Towards Minimalism- Day 4 or 5 or 6?

It seems I've lost a few days somewhere; My guess is that they are hiding under the junk in my front closet.


In an attempt to avoid dealing with the toys I decided to clean out said front closet. I pulled out everything and was immediately overwhelmed. I am not sure who has been saving all kinds of crap and storing it in this closet (me). Probably someone who had the best intentions to do amazing crafts using toilet paper rolls (me). I mean , who doesn't need 10 supersized Folgers coffee containers? (me)

I sorted through about 1/2 and was done.

I really shouldn't attempt things like this at 9:00 at night. I was tired. I wanted to crawl under the enormous pile of size 4T sweatshirts and hide all the while wondering how one little girl ended up with so many sweatshirts. Were they giving them away at The Children's Place?

So, I checked Facebook. I took a shower. I looked up recipes on how to cook the beets in this week's CSA box. I hoped that somebody else would come and clean up the mess.

Finally, I did the unthinkable. I shoved the rest of the junk right back into the closet. I was just too tired.

That closet hasn't seen the last of me. I have 31 days and I intend to use them. Toilet paper rolls beware...

I needed some fuel so that I could get a handle on toys. I found an article by Joshua Becker entitled Why Fewer Toys Will Benefit Your Kids.

After reading this I was definitely amped about shedding some stuff. However, I am going to take a a different approach to purging the rest of the toys. I am going to choose 1 item each day for the next 25 days to toss, sell or donate. I have also drastically limited the number of toys in the room. I am feeling much better now that I have a plan in place.

0 comments: